LOREM IPSUM DOLOR
Historical Notes on
Our Lady of the Assumption Co-Cathedral
The Church of St. Philomena became the Cathedral of St. Philomena July 27th, 1930, and was later renamed the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption in 1965.
An imposing building that can accommodate up to 1,500 persons. It measures 54.8 metres in length, 25.9 metres in width at the transept, 15.8 metres in the nave and is 19.8 metres in height in its main body. The façade illuminated by a stained glass window depicting the Assumption of Our Lady is flanked by twin towers crowned by cupolas that rise to a height of 53.3 metres. It is a steel frame structure with the outside walls of fireproof brick, light tan in colour with trimming of Indiana stone. The four bells are alternately engraved with the names: Philomène, Pierre, Charles, Joseph-Émilienne and were donated by parishioners. The cost of the contract for the building of the church was $96,618 and the final tally of expenses amounted to $287,515. The required funding was provided by donations from parishioners and anonymous benefactors.
The construction began in 1918 and the Most Rev. O.-E. Mathieu, Archbishop of Regina, presided at the blessing ceremony on November 5th,, 1919. The architect, J.E. Fortin of Montreal, chose a style that combined the Romanesque and Italian Renaissance. The interior decoration is entirely painted from the hand of Msgr. Charles Maillard, pastor of Gravelbourg. He dedicated ten years of his life (1921-1931) to this work.
It is to be noted that the plan of the nave was modified to accommodate the liturgical norms of the Vatican II Council.
(La Cathédrale – Paroisse de Gravelbourg 1998)
Picture: Mark Greschner MPA, Artec Photographic Design
The Bishop’s Chair
The former Bishop’s chair located in the Co-Cathedral is a Louis XIV Episcopal throne dating back to 1780.
Picture: Mark Greschner MPA, Artec Photographic Design